The Sugar Technologists? Association of India (STAI) is the national level apex association of professionals associated with the sugar industry and allied fields. It is a non-government not for profit organization, founded in the year 1925 and is headquartered at New Delhi. Presently it has nearly 3000 members working with various sugar mills, refineries, distilleries, research institutes, technology providers and other professionals from sugarcane agriculture, sugarcane biology, sugar technology, factory engineering and co-products. The association, headed by the President, is managed by an elected council comprising of 30 professionals representing different regions of India. The council, elected every three years by STAI members, is assisted by the Standing Committees on Research and Investigation, Advisory Committee on Publications and the Indian National Committee of ICUMSA.
KEY OBJECTIVES OF THE ASSOCIATION
- To provide opportunities for the acquisition and dissemination of information, exchange of knowledge amongst the members and to provide facilities for presentation of papers and delivery of lectures on subjects connected with and useful to the profession.
- To promote schemes of research relating to the sugar industry and allied fields.
- To establish and maintain a library and to publish and circulate papers, books, journals, magazines, newsletters and other scientific literature connected with the profession.
- STAI is the sole representative from India on the council of the International Society of Sugar Cane Technologists (ISSCT), a global association of scientists, technologists, managers, institutions and companies/corporations concerned with the technical advancement of the cane sugar industry and its co-products. The ISSCT has been in existence since 1924, has so far organized 31 Congresses, usually at 3-year intervals.
- Following STAI members are presently serving on the Executive committee and various technical committees of ISSCT for the term 2023-25.
- Mr. Sanjay Awasthi, President-STAI, as an elected Chair of the ISSCT Council and the Executive Committee.
- Dr. Priyanka Singh, Scientific Officer, UPCSR, Shahjahanpur as a member of the ISSCT Agronomy Section Committee.
- Dr. G. Hemaprabha, Director ICAR ? SBI Coimbatore as a member of the ISSCT Germplasm & Breeding Section Committee.
- Mr. Harjeet Singh Bhola, MD, IPRO India Pvt. Ltd. as a Chair of the ISSCT Factory Engineering Section Committee.
- Mr. R. L. Tamak Executive Director & CEO ? Sugar Business, DCM Shriram Limited, as a member of Co-products Commission.
- Mr. Anurag Goyal, Head of Marketing & Technical (Sugar Plants & Distilleries) Isgec Heavy Engineering Ltd., as Councilor from India.
STAI is the sole representative from India on the Committee of International Commission for Uniform Methods of Sugar Analysis (ICUMSA). Dr (Mrs.) V.S. Keskar is the Convenor of the Indian National Committee on ICUMSA and is also the referee for the Subject GS9 ? Plantation White Sugar.
STAI is also a member of International Association of Professionals in Sugar and Integrated Technologies (IAPSIT)